What is a Voided Check?
The check having the word VOID on it is a void check. Here, the term VOID indicates that the check should not be recognized for the purpose of payment. Though, the check can be left blank or partially filled up or fully filled up. It can only be used for bank related information. So, you can share the account number and bank routing number with the help of a void check.
click here – How to Handle C&W: Protect Your Credit Profile
Voided check definition:
A voided check depicts the check which has been canceled. A check which is void cannot be used. The basic reasons for a check being void are as:
- There exists a mistake in filling out the check.
- The check is left out blank or left only partially filled in
- The check was issued out in error
- The check is used for a direct deposit payroll account set up by the employee to an employer
How to Get Voided Check
You can write the word “VOID” in front of the check in large letters. The word VOID should be written in capital letters and large size covering the entire space in check. But, the numbers at the bottom of your check should not be covered by the VOID term, as these numbers are needed by the recipient of the check in order to establish the link with your bank account.
Be careful while using the word VOID so that no one can remove or erase it. So, in order to void a check, you just need to write a void on the from the side of the check.
Steps to void a check:
Below are the steps to void a check
Step 1: Take and use a pen:
You should use a pen or even a marker to write void on the check. Be careful and do not use a pencil to void a check as someone can erase the void term and use the check for payment purposes.
Step 2: Write “VOID” transversely the payee line:
The payee line is the one that tells us to whom you are writing the check to. So, the word void should be written transversely the payee line. So, that it cannot be used by anyone, or cannot be used for the payment purpose.
Step 3: Write the “VOID” word even in the payment amount box.
You should even write the word void in the payment box having $ sign on the check, where the amount of the check is mentioned while you sign a check. So, the word void should be written in the payment amount box. So, that it cannot be used by anyone, or cannot be used for the payment purpose.
click here – 10 Financial Goals You Must Achieve Before Your 40s
You should even write the word void in the signature box indicated at the bottom right hand corner of the check. So, that it cannot be used by anyone, or cannot be used for the payment purpose. You can even write the word void on the back side of the check, in order to avoid any mistake in the future.
Step 5: Record the voided check:
You need to keep the record of the check being voided. This will invariably help you to avoid any confusion later on relating to the voided check as it will be written or noted down in the account or notebook. Else you can also keep a copy of the voided check for reference in the future.
Check Voided Sample:
An example of the void check is shown below for your reference that depicts the word VOID written transversely on it, which depicts that it can only be used for bank related information purposes and not for payment purposes. The word VOID should be written with a pen or marker.
Other ways to Void a check:
In case you do not have a check, you can use other available alternative ways to void a check which are as:
- Online options: You need to link your bank account online and use the form to void a check online by filling out the required details in the given form.
- Deposit slips: You can set up the deposit as well as the withdrawal option with the voided check available.
- Starter checks: You can also as the bank for a counter check in replacement of the void check.
- Check printers: You can use a check printer to print out a voided check image for you.
- Other documents: Other related documents that can be available to get the official information from the bank.
Things to keep in mind while voiding a check:
- Big Letters: Write the word VOID in big letters on the front side of the check.
- Pen or Marker: Always use a pen or marker while writing void on the check.
- Account and routing numbers: Do not write on the account number and the routing number of the check.
- Take a picture: You should take a picture of a void check in order to avoid any mistake on the check in the future.
- Partially filled check: You can void a partially filled check by writing the word VOID on it.
- Blank check: You can void a blank check too by writing the word VOID on it.
When to Use a Voided Check
A voided check is used for bank related purposes or for extracting banking information. It is basically used to set up an electronic link with your bank account. Thus, you can use the voided check in case of:
- Direct deposit: voided check for directly depositing the check into the bank.
- Setting up payments: For setting your monthly and setting up your expenses you can write a void check.
- Example: a void check for rent payment, etc.
Mistakes: In case you have made any mistake while writing a check you can write the void word on the check and make the check void at the same time. So, that it may not be used for the payment related purpose by anyone.
A void check can be written just by writing the word VOID on the check crossing it and even in front of the or transversely to the payee line and even in the amount box having $ sign. The check can also be voided in case you want to fix a payment or for the purpose of withdrawal and in case of mistake while writing a check.